I must tell you about the first time I met Sarah. I was a freshman at DePauw. I flew out to Oregon to visit my best friend from high school (for the interest of brevity, her name is Caty, and I guess I've caught a little of the Sarah Dawson, "I'm Direct" disease) at her college for a long weekend. Caty, being an anxious type, was very nervous about my visit and feverishly planned how I would meet her new best friend. She just wanted to make it a big deal that she had loads of new friends in college and her new best friend from college was the coolest girl in the world. She is just kind of neurotic that way. So there was a big party, and Caty was so fiendishly involved in being popular in her new college that I hung out with her new best friend from college and got to know her a little better. What ended up happening? Sarah Dawson became one of my new best friends in college and on and on.
Other things to know about Sarah:
- She thinks talking like a stoner is both ironical and funny.
- I can speak to her with complete sarcasm and she always gets it. Like, I have no need to put the, Just kidding! at the end of a particularly sarcastic comment.
- She loves dogs.
- She lived in Ireland and knows all about the student villages at the University College Dublin
- She shares my deep, true adoration of the job of bridesmaid
- We grew up 45 miles from each other, went to the same concerts in H.S., hung out at the same young, hip coffee shops and hangouts in H.S., but we never met until that trip to Oregon in 1995.
- Most importantly, she is a truly great writer. Check her blog out!