Friday, November 10, 2006

Wherein I Write Haikus and Write About Really Sad Stuff

I'm in the strangest mood tonight, let's get that out of the way right here.

See, I've not been in the mood to write much lately. But fueled by creative cooking (I made really yummy pork chops brined in saltwater and maple syrup with a very inventive Fat Tire gravy... Did you know you could deglaze a pan with beer? It's great!), as well as a medicinal amount of beer while I cooked and ate, I find myself again in the mood to write a thing or two about the state I am in.

See, prior to the creative cooking experiment, this week has looked a lot like this: wake up, go to work, pick up The Kid, go home, work, feed self and Kid, attend to other random needs of Kid and self, bed. Repeat. See? No where in that previous description do you see "write pithy blogpost about heartbreaking struggle on internet." Nope, no place for it.

Instead, I've done a lot of thinking internally. There is plenty of room in the aforementioned schedule for navel gazing and self-doubt. I look back, I can say with all honesty that each week since somewhere in July has been progressively worse than the one prior to it. Prior to the start of first grade for The Kid, my biggest problem was that the daycare annoyed me.

Remember? Summer?
Bickering With Other Kids.
Damn. Good times, indeed.

Then, school started and The Kid started going slightly nutty with the running away from teachers and kicking chairs and breaking the really nice school secretary's pencil caddy. And I wanted to help them help him, and was playing the role of super involved parent, writing long emails and calling daily and setting meetings and stuff. But then I lost all faith in them because instead of working with me to help The Kid, they broke all kinds of laws and failed to do all of that 'parent notification' stuff that the pesky disability laws protect against. I can't lie and say I'm over all of it, but I can say that I've learned a little bit about being the obstinate party on the bad side of bad news. Sometimes you have to suck it up and take it.

Schools: Don't break the law
Bitches. Yea! The A.D.A!
You stick up for us!

or alternatively:

Should have known better.
The school couldn't handle it.
The Kid needed help.

So we tried another school, but then the hospital. The hospital which I tried to contact first, but we got talked out of it. Oh well, another missed opportunity to provide timely care to The Kid. It happens every day. But anyway, we DID end up at the hospital, in their school program, and damnit if they couldn't even handle it. He was admitted to the psych ward.

Bring on Sedation!
Drug him 'til his eyes water.
That will fix him, right?

Except, that was not it, not it at all:

Wow, the crazy kids
They're a lot like us. Cute, too!
The Kid belonged here.

The staff at this hospital was sooooo good. They did have to give him "extra" doses of certain meds to keep him safe for the first few days. After that, though, the non-extra doses of meds kicked in, and he began to function, he began to be my darling Kid again. See, he was a mess before that. He was anxious, and unsleeping. He was tirelessly angry, and itchy. Also restless and sad. He didn't function. Living with that was a lot harder than seeing him on psychiatric medicines in a hospital, believe me. After 10 days inpatient with significant gains in mood stabilization, he was discharged.

He came home Monday
pizza and macaroni
joyous reunion

But then, but then... Do you know how life has a way of letting you know that you are not the center of the universe?

We went to my mom's house for a family dinner when he came home. My mom and I were bitching about political solicitations via telephone, and her phone rang, so I answered it, expecting another of these November nuisances. Instead of a recording of Bill Clinton or John McCain, it was a real person. And not only that, something and someone much much more.

It was my aunt, and my uncle had died. Suddenly. Shockingly. No one was prepared for this. My uncle was a quiet guy. He loved his wife, his kids, and his dogs. He wrote out the Christmas cards and birthday greetings and all of the letters to the family for as long as I can remember. He was strong and silent, and good. Good as can be. The very definition of Good Man. He was a hunter, and trained black labs for hunting trials. He was a man of few words. Our last great and very typical conversation took place right around the time of the great Chaney-Shooting-His-Buddy-In-The-Face incident. I asked him if he could understand what happened there, to see if that was "something that could happen," like the stories you hear other random accidents that you think, 'that SO could have happened to me.' He said, "No. And I'm not saying that because I'm a democrat." I often thought of him as the kind of guy who preferred the kind of communication that exists between a man and his [extremely well trained and beautiful] dogs. Not complicated, lots of unspoken understanding and great amounts of peace.

Don, you and your dogs
are hunting in the duck blind
together, Heaven.

Other things have been going on, too. Midterm elections. Whoopee. I'm feeling so underwhelmed and cynical about it all. Perhaps it's because Colorado elected all sorts of blue in all sorts of places, but then still decided to put into our constitution an amendment defining marriage as between a man and a woman . I guess I'm an underrepresented extremely liberal democrat, and I want the sun and the moon and the stars and I've only been given the moon and I'd really like that sun and stars, too. Also, I read an article which cited the last time congress changed hands as dramatically, in the year of Gingrich's contract for America, 12 years ago.

12 years ago? For reals? I remember that Wednesday morning so well. Honor Scholar seminar, freshman year. DePauw University, where the students are 9814% more conservative than the professors, where the majority of the students come from affluent suburbs of Indianapolis, St. Louis and Chicago, where the majority of the students never saw diversity in color and ethnicity until Pell Grants and affirmative action made them see it (and they've probably not seen it since, for the most part). And the fucking gloating on my friend Kevin's face when he walked into seminar that morning. So, I freaked out quickly in thinking that that was only 12 years ago and holy shit I'm getting old that I was an "adult" 12 years ago (but that fixed the freak out, because I was exactly 18 years old in 1994, so yo, I'm really not very old at all), but then I returned to Kevin's gloating. I will not be a Kevin in the light of this change. I'm in Wait-And-See mode. But also, don't think for a minute that I've not done the math to figure out that we've got a woman third in line to the presidency. And a woman from San Fransisco, at that. Cheers, girls! (But I'm totally not gloating, it's just about the girl power. Oh, and Impeach Bush AND Chaney. Somehow)

Midterm Elections
Steering us toward center
I want to go left

I think this post has to end someday. I can't think of how to end this, but in Haiku:

Soapy Water, yo
The Kid, Dripping With Crazy
The Mom, Drinking Suds.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry about your uncle, Molla. That's so terribly sad. I like the haikus. It was a weird night, energy-wise. I caught it too.

The Kid's going to be okay. He's going to figure it out, yo. He's too smart not to. I gots mad love for y'all and will get to see you so soon!

Diane said...

Molly_g,

I can't tell you how much I feel for you regarding The Kid. I realized as I checked day after day that things must be difficult as you weren't writing. As it's never easy to post angst after angst even though people love and support you.

Hang in there and keep working at it. We can't accept less than the best or NO for our children. Their lives depend on it and us.

Sorry about your Uncle. It's never easy to say goodbye.

Diane said...

Oops. Forgot about the Impeachment chatter in my concern for The Kid.

I'm torn. I was all for impeaching Bush and Cheney, but now I feel it would be a waste of time and focus.

Bush definitely deserves it and should be held accountable for all this massive blunders and illegal activities, but their is so much to do.

Time is short between now and 2008, if we want to take back the Presidency and keep them out of power and control from ruining everything.

I feel an attempt at impeaching them would eat away at our chances to accomplish much while the Democrats are controlling the House and the Senate.

Least that is how I feel, right now.

Alison said...

I've been writing a lot of haiku lately too. Maybe because it takes one little thing and isolates it. And it's not as presumptuous as actually writing a poem, which I've never done in my life. I find it's descriptive, emotive, and hilarious.

And that's all I have to say about that.

Mr Lady said...

This is so my favorite post of yours. Ever.

Diane said...

mr. lady,

Aren't you supposed to be napping and such in Colorado Springs and enjoying peace and quite? Your surfing the net?

If your still on, come see my blog. Top post, read comments IF NOTHING ELSE. Boy, did I stir things up and I am somewhat enjoying it. Sick, I know.

SMILE.....

Diane said...

molly_g,

Thanks for commenting twice. I gave myself a headache and I am off to get myself another beer.

I amused my hubby all day by trading comments with that man whose real name I don't even know. Now, I have to think of something amusing to blog about--as I have to get that off the top of my blog.

My hubby feels this was the greatest way to spice up my blog. Piss off the other side. Ugh, I so didn't think he was funny, but I should have known better.

My point was that I called a truce with him. I'm tired and so off-track.

Anonymous said...

I agree w/ Mr. Lady. FAB post. Very real and raw and YOU. I do heart you so . . .

CHB said...

Molly,
You are a gem. Keep your chin up....it will get better, and yes, it will get worse again after that. Politics, kids, relationships, friendships, it is all so fluid. I love you and your boy!

Mary said...

hey- found your blog via matt yosca's and i am sucked in! incidentally, i think we may've met a decade or so ago when you were in ireland. i'm mary- a friend of matt's sister pam. point being- it's really inspiring how you're handling what sounds like a really difficult situation with such courage, grace and humor. and thanks for bringin back the haiku! maybe they were never gone, but i had forgotten about them. i particularly enjoyed the final one.

molly_g said...

Hi Mary! Thanks for reading. Now if we could only get Matt to write again. I need his cooking tips!

Also, thanks to all of you, including the impeachment spammer, I guess. : )