Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Procrastination of more important things...

Shannon told me to do this, and as I am having a hard time writing in complete sentences lately, I will comply.

Seven things to do before I die:

  • Make sure that every one I love knows it, and knows it well.
  • Write the post I am procrastinating right now.
  • Take The Kid back to the land where he was conceived, aka Ireland. The key to this is to take him when he's old enough to get it, be game with me while I make him cross sheep fields to show him the churches I researched in my former life, and ultimately be old enough to go to the pubs with me as well. Perhaps a college graduation present of some kind?
  • Go with my best friend to Southeast Asia, India, or Guatemala (all three would be okay with me as well)
  • Run a successful and "Meaningful, Beneficial" business with my best friend (big plans here, will write about it someday)
  • Meet Jimmy Carter, although Bill Moyers would do fine as well.
  • This is really geeky, but I'd love to go to the Oscars someday. I realize now that I will never be accepting my own award, but now I'd be happy to sit in the balcony.


Seven Things I Cannot Do:

  • Be completely rude to telemarketers. They tick me off, but I can't help but say sorry and please to them, because honestly they have one of the shittiest jobs on earth.
  • Run a marathon (because, why?)
  • Keep my house clean for more than three consecutive days. Maybe I should try for four and put it up with the things I will do before I die... There's a lofty goal.
  • Feel put upon. This is MY life, and if I'm bummed, I own that bumm-ed-ness.
  • Order magazines from those "keep kids off drugs" kids that go door to door in the ugliest pyramid scheme ever concocted.
  • Streak through a public place, like the Oscars, for instance.
  • Apathy. I just don't DO that.
Seven things that I love about The Kid:
(changed slightly to fit my purposes)

  • He's a charmer
  • He has the cutest freckles on his hand
  • He is loving, empathetic and feels deeply
  • He is earnest, and says everything with complete conviction and honesty
  • He has the most adorable swirly cowlick on his forehead
  • The way that he says the word, "waffle."
  • His creativity


Seven things I say often:

  • Yo. This is a great enhancement to the end of a sentence. It makes mundane statement just a little bit funny. It's tranformative. It turns the command, "Put your socks on!" into a more playful request of, "Put your socks on, yo."
  • Ridiculous. Because it so often fits.
  • I love you. Or at least I try.
  • These words may or may not actually come out of my mouth, but I think of them often, at least at work: jackass, fuck-wad.
  • For sure. I usually say it like the blond muppet lady in the band, like, "fer shure."
  • I've been quoting the movie Elf quite a bit lately. Even to people who've never seen the movie. Yesterday I told someone I had an idea that I was particularly psyched out of my mind about...
  • I type this into emails every day: Please let me know... Please let me know if you need any help completing XY or Z... Please let me know if this is report meets your expectations. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do... etc.

Seven books or book series I love:

  • Harry Potter
  • Lolita
  • V. (T. Pynchon)
  • Lord of the Rings Trilogy
  • A Prayer for Owen Meany
  • Don Quixote (the first postmodern novel!!!)
  • The amazing amazing art historical writings of Meyer Schapiro

Seven movies I watch over and over again:

  • Elf
  • Sunset Boulevard
  • Raising Arizona
  • Parenthood
  • Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (the original, thankyouverymuch)
  • Best in Show
  • When I was about 11 or 12, I watched Gone with the Wind EVERY DAY. Not the whole movie, but I could get through the whole thing in about a week. I adored Scarlett O'Hara. I bought it out of a bargain bin a couple of years ago, and was shocked that I loved her so much, I mean, she's a wreck, a horrible person, and she makes really bad decisions. But at least she was plucky, and would never go hungry again. This is proof that you can raise a feminist while as a child she can look up to misguided women (Scarlett, Barbie, etc).

I shall not participate in the "tagging" of other bloggers, mostly because my internet community is extremely small and I don't know 7 other bloggers...

Have a fantastic day!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that's a great idea. everyone should think about those things at some point, yo.