Sunday, January 22, 2006

Three Reasons Not To Blog

It has been a record 17 days since my last post. There are three good reasons why.

First: I've been obsessed with my other hobby. This hobby would be rediculously fanatical Denver Bronco Football mania. In terms of elation caused by this hobby, this hobby kicks all all other hobbies, um, asses (on the converse, I know few people who are moved to sobbing by knitting, or two-to-three week long depression after a particularly heartbreaking decoupaging, so the depression factor exists, but won't happen this year, if you know what I mean...) For those of you living under a rock, today the Broncos are hosting the Steelers in the AFC Championship. I've been more than a little obsessed.

Second: I made an investment. I have had super cable installed as well as a DVR. So many people I know are television haters, but I am not. I love my tv shows. And with the Kid aging, I have either been unable to watch them due to content (um, Sopranos anyone?), or due to the need to read to my child and generally to parent (anything on after 7:30 pm). Oh, and there's that whole sleep thing (Daily Show). DVR changes all of that in one decisive pressing of the pause button. It's been wonderful. I forgot how great it is to cozy up on my couch for a good show, but now I can cozy up and watch it whenever I am able, rather than just watching 1/3 of whatever show I like, missing half of the plot, etc.

Third: The Kid has been doing incredibly well. All hail Abilify! His behavior charts from school have been near-to-perfect. His behavior at home has been easy going and even keeled. No rages, no crying. But also, no numbness. My biggest fear in giving him psychiatric drugs was that he would become a zombie. But, no, he's still my earnest, charming, intelligent, vital little boy. Oh, and one day, I told him, "Wow, you need to clean your room." Do you know what he did? He went and cleaned it. I was shocked. He's also sleeping on his own better. He's also behaving better around my family's kids (where in almost anything would have been an improvement, but as parents we are always looking for the good!). It's been great. I'm going to truly enjoy this quiet period. I have read too much and know other bipolar children, so I know that because this is working now, we are not necessarily "done." But it's been good lately, so I'll take that.

Go Broncos!!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope the game turns out well, but what makes me happiest is to hear that things have settled down w/"the kid" and that you are enjoying today...sometimes that is all we can ask for.

Mrs. Ris said...

SOOO glad your absence was for happy reasons.

SOOO glad you are back.

As I write this I am seeing the Steelers whooping up on the Broncos -- I hope a loss doesn't send you into another dry spell. And if they do win, I will patiently wait for AFTER the SuperBowl for your return to the blogsphere.

Go Broncos!!

molly_g said...

Ah, don't worry about it. I'm a bronco fan. I'm sad to say this, but I know all about being disappointed in the post season with these dudes.

Maybe next year, right?

Anonymous said...

Hooray for the kid! And the DVR! Mine is full of John Stewart.

Not so much hooray for the Broncos. But hooray for Jerome goin to the Bowl!

Anonymous said...

Miss Molly,
You have been SO much on my mind these last few weeks re. the Broncos. Hopefully next year? They gave it a good run.

And I'm completely envious of your DVR...

Brown-haired Erin